Redfield's Unpublished Perception

I really enjoyed reading James Redfield's translation of Plato's dialogue, Meno. I found that Redfield was able to explain himself through a process that I can't seem to apply in class. However, he also brought up several points that I had not considered. For example, I understood Redfield's translation on page CL-iii-13 "...virtue, he [Socrates] says, is between the teachable and the unteachable because it is between knowledge and ignorance, because it is right opinion." Though on the following page Redfield claims that virtue is acquired by magic and I would like someone else's perspective on what he thinks magic is. Does that mean virtue may be an illusion?

Comments

  1. I think by 'magic' Redfield just means we either have excellence or we don't, without any traceable method of acquiring it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plato's Socrates

Ambiguity